Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ethics in Teaching

Ethics is an important topic when it comes to teaching. The definition of ethics that I follow in my life is whether something is morally wrong or right to do. This definition of ethics that I follow also depends on the virtue of the person. A virtuous person would know that something is morally wrong, not want to do the moral wrong, and not do that moral wrong. Someone that would not do the moral wrong, but still want to would not be considered a virtuous person.

As a teacher it is important that I think ethically on all decisions. Without the ability to think ethically on things, and determine whether something is ethically right or wrong, then I won't be acting as, or being, a virtuous person. Through acting in an ethically moral way my relationships with my students and colleagues will benefit because I would be a dependable person to rely on for them in many ways. Colleagues would know that I am dependable in matters dealing with students, curriculum, administration, and rules. Students would know that I am dependable so that they can come to me to help them and that I would be fair to them all, having no favorites and treating everyone the same.

Being concerned with ethics has many pros and cons dealing with it. Some pros are that it helps in relations with students, parents, and colleagues. Another pro would be that it helps with a persons self-morality. If a teacher practices moral ethics in all ways of life, not just in the schools, then they would become an all-around morally ethical, and virtuous, person. Cons of being concerned with ethics is that it might cause a teacher to make a decision that could hurt someone because they might have to break confidence because it goes against what is morally right. This could hurt relationships with students or colleagues. Being morally ethical is a difficult thing to work towards, but it is important when being a teacher to know what is right or wrong, to want to do what is right, and to do what is morally right in life.

1 comment:

  1. I thought of Paul as I read your first paragraph (Romans 7:15-25). But, it is so important that--through the grace of God--we do what is right.

    ReplyDelete